Safe driving is something that you need to prioritize during every season of the year. Every time you get behind the wheel, take a moment to think about accident risks. Then, focus on the steps that you can take to avoid a crash.
Defensive driving is a great place to start. When motorists drive defensively, they remain alert and watchful for any mistakes that other drivers make in order to best avoid a crash. Here are a few more safe driving tips to keep in mind:
- Never tailgate another car, regardless of speed. Try to stay three seconds behind them.
- If someone else begins to tailgate you, the best option is often to let them pass.
- Never merge or turn without signaling. Remember that alerting other drivers to what you’re about to do can save your life and theirs.
- Find the flow of traffic and try to stay with it. Many accidents happen when one car impedes the flow and everyone else has to adjust.
- Plan ahead when you have to make any maneuvers. For instance, do not wait until you see your exit to merge into the proper lane. Get there ahead of time so that everything can be done in a calm, controlled manner.
- Focus on situational awareness. You want to be aware of what is going on several car-lengths ahead of you. Always notice the vehicles that are around you and if there are cars ahead that are waiting to turn.
Never take safety for granted. Remember, you can intentionally help reduce your own crash risks. If you do get hit by another driver, you may need to seek financial compensation for your costs, damages and losses.